Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have recently picked up a 1975 lynx with a 295cc rotary engine in it .it is up and running now but seems to be a very thirsty engine fuel wise about 3liters in 5min just tooling around in the yard. where these enginse severe hard on fuel or is it some other issue

·
Registered
59 Posts
75 Lynx

If it's a Lynx with the 295 Wankel Rotary unless someone put the engine in it the sled is a 1974.I have one also.Does it have Lynx 1 on the side of the hood? If so it's definetely a 74.Mine is not that bad on fuel.I would think about 65 miles per tank under good conditions.I also have a 74 Lynx 1 with the 292 Kawi single and it's awesome on fuel.Close to 1 1/2 times the miles to a tank.Here is a pic of my 74 295 Lynx.Great little runner. Doug

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes you are right it is a 74 lynx 1 i just couldn't remember for sure when i posted the thread . When i got the sled the original carb was in very bad shape and i had a small tilson put on it just to get it running . i just cleaned up the orginal carb and put it back together with sum hand made gaskets . It's not working properly yet bit it is running . I still need a new carb or complete rebuild kit but seems to be a lot less thirsty and the muffler has a leak from a cobbled up patch that was on it when i saved it from the scrap heap. I hope fixing that will help it sum too

·
Registered
59 Posts
WF Carb

I do have an NOS WF 1B Walbro Float carb I would sell for $48.oo plus shipping if your interested.It looks like the one on my Lynx but has one extra air jet on the top.Same throttle hook-up and choke hook-up but don't know if there are differences inside.I also have an LLP brand complete carb rebuild kit for the WF carbs.Still in the package.I rebuilt my carb this past summer and it works perfect.Let me know if your interested.$32.oo plus shipping for the kit. Doug

·
Registered
621 Posts
Rotary engines are notorious for being thirsty for their displacement. However they're also very light for the displacement. I would suspect your Lynx will be a good powder sled once its running correctly. I'm hoping the same for my Panther 303 rotary once its done.

-Curt

·
Registered
59 Posts
My 72 303 Panther is amazing in the snow.My 72 440 Panther will sink if I try the same thing with it:confused:.Weight is the biggest issue.I find my 292 Lynx is much better in the snow than my 295 is.Seems the 295 has TOO MUCH TORQUE and would rather bury itself where the 292 will just float on top.

·
Registered
621 Posts
I'm glad to hear it. My plan for the long weekend is to get that stupid Panther out and going. I've got ~4v at the coil which is keeping it from starting now. Not sure if its the condenser or just dirty points. I'm betting on the condenser. Any idea what the part # for that would be?

Sorry for hijacking the thread but, you know how it is.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Sorry but I am in no way an electrical GUY!!!! Never was,never will be.I have an engine guy for all that stuff.I love working on the sleds themselves but the internal workings of all engines are out of my league.I know in High School ( many years ago ) we all had to tear down and put back together a 4 stroke lawn mower engine and from the last I heard the one I tore down still isn't running!!!:laugh: Doug

·
Registered
621 Posts
You're not the only one. I had to get rid of my first sled because I could never get the points figured out...
I'm not going to let this one beat me, I don't care how long it takes I'll get this one running again!

·
Registered
59 Posts
curt: From what I can make out from Brown's Leisure World - Home Page the p/n for the condensor for a 72 303 Wankel ( I would think they would take the same one ) is 6400-038.I don't know how to verify if they are the same unless you contact browns and ask them if the 71 and 72 take the same p.n. Just as a side note the only problem I have ever had on any of my 303's is the points being dirty.They do need A VERY GOOD cleaning quite often as the oil from the exhaust seems to get sucked into them. Hope this helps. Doug

·
Registered
621 Posts
Hi Doug, that sounds like good advice. How do you clean the points? I was planning to spray some electrical contact cleaner in them and snap a business card through a few times...

·
Registered
59 Posts
The electrical cleaner sounds like a good start.After they dry I would use a fine fingernail file ( please dont ask me what brand I would suggest!!! LoL ) Then blow them out with an air hose and finally use a piece of cloth ( denim works well ) and open the points with a screw driver or the nail file and pull the cloth through them 3 or 4 times.Works every time for me.Good luck and keep us updated if this works. Doug

·
Registered
59 Posts
A solution to that problem would be to make an air intake duct for the cooling, it would then be made to draw cold air from outside the cowl.
Good idea about making some duct work but on the 303 Sachs engines the cooling shroud is the whole side of the engine including the rewind.Imposible to make something to stop all the oil from coming in without interfering with the rewind workings.Believe me I have tried a lot of different things.As far as the heat from the exhaust thats just a unique design of the beast!!!! I love getting out at night riding.Saves on HEADLIGHTS:):)

·
Premium Member
34,103 Posts
I know you would have to allow for the recoil, but I have made ones for older single cylinder engines , just make a notch in the duct for the rope. keeps most of the gunk out and allows much colder air into the engine.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Thanks RJG: I might try something else again.I had it out today breaking trails after the heavy rains we had and ITS AN ANIMAL.Just like a snow plow with the way the clutch works and that long track.I know my 440 Panther would still be stuck there.I tried my 74 295 Lynx first but it just has too much power?torque? not sure which but it spins too easily and wants to bury itself. I have found that since this past summer where I heated everything up by running the sled on a block and then using muffler tape to wrap the first and second pipe connections and having the exhaust actually coming out the muffler instead of under the engine:laugh: there is not near as much oil in the bellypan and haven't had to clean the points yet.Maybe I am onto something here.They sure are a lot of fun though when they run properly.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
34,103 Posts
The old iron is a boatload of fun I have done many of them over the years and had so much fun, especially when I built one that would spank the newer sleds.
Like the 74 Panther 399 that could outrun many of the 600cc sleds around here.

·
Registered
621 Posts
I'd like to know more about that one!
My El Tigre 5000 will give 600cc sleds a run for their money out on the lake but once we hit some turns or whoops they've got me. My Centurion would keep up with 700cc sleds...

·
Registered
13 Posts
It makes me feel so good to hear I’m not alone with stubbornly figuring out 74 lynx I 292 electrical problems. I won’t give up until I figure it out. Right now I’m looking for specs for the electrical components so I can test and clearer instructions would be great. Lol it’s a t4c292 free air

1 - 20 of 21 Posts