Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Puulling this thing over gas starts erupting everywhere, even from around the drain on the bowl....:dunno: Based on what I read here on other posts, I need to lower the float level, check the choke circuit, and the needle pin\seat that allows gas into carb. Its the carb design with fuel pump as part of top of carb. Carb has dual float inside with a butterfly throttle. It has awesome spark but won't fire so I think the engine just gets too wet to fire... any pointers will help... I did blow out what I could when I took float bowl off but maybe it needs a good bath overnight in carb cleaner....:rolleyes:

·
Registered
211 Posts
Rj is right, and cleaning the carbs is not a tough job, there is a link on this forum that will walk you right through the process.Please dont think you can just pull the carbs and let them soak as a whole in carb cleaner, they need to be disassembled completely and cleaned. Keep us updated and best to you!

·
Registered
477 Posts
Pull the sparkplugs out and pull like crazy for maybe 15 or so times. That should get most of the fuel out. Even if you didn't get all of it should still fire with good sparkplugs. I would say that your needle and seat is getting stuck or is defective. Even a choke that is stuck won't allow that much fuel into the engine. Make sure your floats move freely, and inspect the needle and seat. If you can, check the compression with a compression guage.When you try to start it again have someone hold the throttle open as you pull start it and leave the choke off.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So 2 weeks ago after you all posted here I pulled the carb apart and soaked it overnight in a gallon of carb cleaner. Next day, blew it out with the compressor, slapped her back together, pulled it over 15 times or more, finally sputtered to lefe and started running great. Neighbor rode it home. I followed him. He saw his other neighbor pass him so he slowed down and the machine stalled. We had to keep the choke on until he got moving again. I told him to put an in-line filter between tank and carb since the tank is metal, and the first thing I do after I clean a carb on an engine or even get an engine that runs good is put an in-line filter in. I can never trust those filters in the tank, yet I don't on my Ski-doos since they have a great pick-up system in their tanks. So my neighbor has yet to put the in-line filter in plus it was above zero that day so maybe he just got vapour lock?? I guess we will see. Hopefully something did not go from the tank (he said he cleaned) and clogged up the carb already...

Thanks for the help too!! I just got a 76 Scorpion Whip 340 that has the same walboro carb style....

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Forgot to add... the Lynx sat for 15 yrs too so amazed at how good it ran. Smoked alot at first I guess with the old 2 stroke oil still in the crankcase, lol.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts