Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had this sled for a month or so and it has a bad bogging problem.
Whenever I ride it for over 20min of fast riding it starts to bog bad on the bottom end. Then if I let it cool down for a few hours it seems to run good for another 20min or so. I had tried putting new spark plugs in it, cleaned tank (was rusty but I think i got it cleaned out good), changed fuel filter many times, changed fuel lines, and tried marvels mystery oil. Do you think the carb needs cleaned or some new rings or what??? please help, i cant wait to go for a nice long ride without any problems. we just got almost a foot of snow and i really want to ride. Thanks

·
Certified Mechanic
56 Posts
Carb cleaning is the most important cleaning on any machine. That add-a-junk never works for any cleaning. Take the carb off, remove the bowl. Clear all passages of debris with a small wire such as a torch tip cleaner, and then spray with carb cleaner. Dont be scared to use the cleaner a few times through each hole, but watch your eyes when spraying. Make sure your primary jet is cleared and check the size while your at it; it will be stamped onto the jet somewhere. You may need to go a little larger or smaller depending on your location. Clear the secondary jet and ensure there is no sludge built up anywhere like in the bottom of the bowl. Once its all cleared up, put it back on and go have some fun. It will take a little longer to start at first because the bowl will be empty of fuel. You may also need to adjust the idle screw as well after a good cleaning. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I, too, have a '73 Panther 440. I went to fire it up today and I don't have spark either. Do I need a flywheel puller or can I rig something that will work? As an aside, from what I've learned, the '73s that had a Walbro WDA-31 were switched over to a WF-1 because of problems. The WDA-31 will pump fuel back to the tank but the WF-1 does not. The WDA is the square block type and the WF has a bowl with float. RJ and RSR you are both right. To 07KTM-if your carb is mounted the model # of the carb should be stamped into the top right side (as you are sitting on the sled) of the intake mounting flange. My WDA was easy to find as it had a deep stamping. A WF that I have is stamped faintly so you might try spraying that area with a little carb cleaner to see if it shows up.

·
Certified Mechanic
56 Posts
Depends on what type of capabilities you have to rig some tools up. I have built many tools with a simple grinder and wire feed welder. You should be able to rig something up with a little old school engenuity. Another trick that helps for pullers is an impact gun because it puts out so much power so fast that it can make many jobs that seem impossible by hand; possible. Thanks for the insight as well on the old cats, I appreciate it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
RSR, Thanks for the info. I will need to find a puller. I am by no means a mechanic. I can do some stuff but I do not have a large selection of basic tools much less the really good items like a grinder, welder or impact gun. I have to go the duct tape, baling wire and block of wood route.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Didn't get the flywheel off but could see and file the points thru
the holes. Don't really think that was an issue as points looked good.

We have always had decent spark..but its hard to tell after a 1/2 hour of
riding. Thats when we get the bog. Its runs great til then.

We removed the carb and cleaned. Looks like it has a bowl to me. It
is a walbro and has 2 floats in the ..what I think is a bowl for fuel.

We took the cover off the coils and rode it for a while thinking they
might be getting hot.

Rode for 1/2 hourand it didn't bog. One of the coils has been replaced.
One coil is metal the other is plastic.

Need to ride it more to know for sure if coil was getting hot but got
hungry.. now just being lazy..maybe we'll ride it later and report back.

Its just so odd it runs great for a while then...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts