Snowmobile Forum banner
21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
newb86
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Cannot find a replacement ignition coil anywhere. Only lighting coils. Points are new and I adjusted then when I put it on but ill re check. Do you happen to know what I should set it to? I did inspect the magnet and took some emery cloth to it very lightly. I know nothing about snowmobiles or 2 strokes in general. Any help is much appreciated.

·
newb86
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Just tried readjusting the points. When nub on the points rides on the can and the points open its at .014. Turn the crank, no spark. Idk if I'm not adjusting it right or what. Bout to say screw it and take it to a shop

·
newb86
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Yea it's under the flywheel. There are 2 coils one on top for ignition and one on bottom for lighting. I checked all connections and had to resolder the black wire back to the points. I had very weak spark and since I re adjusted I have nothing.

·
newb86
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Had a buddy of mine come over last night and give me a hand and his input on the sled. We got the points readjusted and replaced the end and boot of the plug wire invade it wasn't make good enough contact. I gives me a good jolt now when I touch my finger to the end and ground myself. Waiting for the parts store to get my new plug and ill give it a try. Should be there today when I get off work. My buddy kept asking if the sled ran on a 12v or 6v DC system. I have no ideas I assume 12vdc. Am I correct?

·
Premium Member
33,895 Posts
Actually it is VAC not VDC except the ignition.
The Magneto produces a minimum of 12.5 vac and as much as 18vac at higher rpms.
The regulator dumps that extra [any voltage above 14vac] to ground so that the lights do not keep popping.
This is why they get brighter when the engine revs up.
The only reason that you would find vdc is if there is electric start and a battery.

·
newb86
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Thank you very much for correction me. Got the plug today and realized how non observant I am. Apparently a previous owner stripped out the spark plug socket at some point and remapped the head and helicoiled the plug. So no I have to find a 18mm helicoil that will fit in the head. About to say forget it and sent the sled to the scrap yard.

·
newb86
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Ok here's the problem. I've got good spark to the plug wire. Stick my finger in it and it jolts me pretty good. But when in put a spark plug in the boot I get nothing. I've tried 3 different plugs 1 of which is brand new. Can some one enlighten me on what Could be the culprit? I'm afraid I have a weak coil, does any one know of a replacement? I cannot find one anywhere.

21 - 40 of 55 Posts