Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
newb86
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello everyone. New to the forum, and new to sleds in general. I've searched high and low for information and I can't find anyone having the same problem. Anyway here it goes....

I just recently picked up a 1971 Arctic Cat Lynx with a 292 Kawi motor. The previous owner said it ran last season but hasn't started it since. I'm beginning to believe otherwise... I cannot figure out with this thing wont spark!

For starters i hooked up a spark plug test light, i pulled a few times with the key on and got nothing. I then unplugged the wiring from the switch (i was told this would test whether the switch was bad) still nothing. Next I removed the cover and flywheel and cleaned up the points AND reset them to .014", as listed in the service manual.

Can anyone enlighten me on what i can test/replace?

If anymore info, pictures, or anything is needed, please let me know..I can't wait to get this thing going!

Thanks in Advance

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
My first sled was a 72 lynx 292. I ended up replacing the points, condensers, and the internal coil. Make no mistake it's easy to confuse the lighting coil with the internal ignition coil. And I replace the coil pack to the plugs.

·
newb86
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply!!! I was hoping to get away with just cleaning things up, but it looks that wont be possible lol.

Can anyone verify these p/n's? I realize it states they will fit, just want verification before i purchase. ( Been burnt waaay too many times before by believing fitment guides for my vehicles :eek: )

Points- Points - 022 (Arctic Cat Kawasaki - OEM 3000-077) [022] - $3.75 : Parts Reloaded, Your Source For Hard To Find Parts!

Condensor- Condensers - 040 Arctic Cat Kawasaki (OEM 3000-077) [040] - $3.95 : Parts Reloaded, Your Source For Hard To Find Parts!

I couldn't find an internal ignition coil, could someone please point me in the right direction?

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Dennis Kirk, Inc https://www. denniskirk.com/ . This is where I buy most of my stuff that I need and more so when I had that old lynx. Keep in mind that sled is 40+ years old. Nothing is forever and at some point will need to be changed out to bring life back into it.

·
newb86
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hmm...i just checked denniskirk.com and it seems they don't carry much for the 292 lynx's anymore. Ill go ahead and order these ones i found, they aren't very expensive. I appreciate the input!

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
hmm...i just checked denniskirk.com and it seems they don't carry much for the 292 lynx's anymore. Ill go ahead and order these ones i found, they aren't very expensive. I appreciate the input!
They do but I'd have to look in my book to reference the numbers. I have a denniskirk book and they show way more then online.

·
Premium Member
34,103 Posts

·
newb86
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
:dunno: I guess I shouldn't be surprised the scarcity of parts, considering the sled is 41 years old.

Is there a way to test the coil to find out if it is good?

I really appreciate your guys' input BTW! I've started a thread in a few other forums and no one seems to be interested in helping me out in those. Thank You!!!

·
newb86
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Okay guys, I got my new condensor and points today, i removed the condensor and soldered on the new one, and replace and readjusted the points. Still no spark!....assuming its the coil now, but still havent been able to find one online. Haven't been able to make it to the nearest parts store yet as its, not so local lol. anyone have any input with something else to check?

·
newb86
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Sorry it's been so long everyone, project got pushed to the side. So far I've replaced condenser and points. I am getting weak spark now. Without pull start I can spin it by hand and hold on to a screwdriver in the plug wire and feel the shock. But when I put the pull start on I don't get any spark. With it off an holding the screwdriver near a bolt there is a tiny spark when it's really close but it's just not enough. Any ideas?

1 - 20 of 55 Posts