Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My old girl runs for about a minute then stalls. Gas cap vent works, carb was cleaned fuel lines and filter on carb are clean. The return line is almost as long as the supply line and is submerged in the gas. The pop off pressure is high also. When it starts to stall I spray gas in the carb jab the throttle and it will run again for a bit.
Appears to be a fuel delivery problem but not sure what to look at. Is the high pop off pressure the culprit? Is the return line suppose to be out of the gas in the tank? Other carb problems? Any and all help appreciated!!!!

·
Super Moderator
16,794 Posts
Sounds like the carb could use a good cleaning.

Is the carb a Tillotson? If so, here's a good cleaning tutorial offered by PowerModz.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=JZP2Yr9o7-Y

I am assuming that the "return" line is a carb bowl vent line. Usually, a carb with a needle/seat has no "pop off" pressure. When the bowl is full, the carb floats close the needle and stop the flow of the fuel into the carb. If you have fuel returning into the tank via the vent, the needle is probably stuck open. The line should not be submerged in fuel if it's a vent. The vent should be higher than the fuel tank level, so as not to siphon fuel back to the carb on shut down.

First sled I ever rode was a 1971 Elan back in 1972. It wasn't very powerful and not very capable in deep snow, but it was a blast! We used to load three sleds in the back of my buddy's pickup truck by lifting them by hand. No ramp required! If you get stuck, just pick up the sled and move it over a bit and off you go! Fun times!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts