Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Ski Doo Grand Touring 500, 1996 Polaris Indy Trail
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1972 Artic Cat Kitty Cat with an unknown year engine swap from another kitty cat that i purchased off of eBay. Last winter the sled would not run when cold, then spring came and it got put up. This fall i bought a new NGK plug and it fired right up and ran good (when the air temp was warm), we got some snow, and then it got warm so i was letting my son ride it. Well we brought it back from my dad's and I couldnt get it to stay running on sunday, so last night i took the carb off, cleaned it out (with carb cleaner, no wires through the small passages), new fuel line and a new fuel filter. I reinstalled it, and couldnt get it to even fire (air temp was around 10-15F), pulled the plug and it was soaked. After looking into the carb with a flash light i can see gas running back out the carb (airbox side).
Any clues? This is probably the last year we have before he moves up to something a little bigger. I would like it to run decent when i am ready to sell it as well.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have good spark on the plug that is in it now. Im going to get another one tonight, hoping that is the problem. It just doesnt seem right that it should be flooding itself out though.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will see if i can find mine in my mess of a tool box. When i had the plug out last night, i did roll it over and it had a nice blue spark consistently. One thing i noticed on the carb was the needle wasnt attached to the float. Every carb i have taken has been attached to the float. Is this a common thing with those small carbs?

·
Registered
142 Posts
i would still clean the carb tho. i use carb cleaner and torch tip cleaners to get into the passages well. it actually works great!

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i would still clean the carb tho. i use carb cleaner and torch tip cleaners to get into the passages well. it actually works great!
are you suggesting to pull the carb again and clean it more thoroughly? just curious as carb cleaner was flowing through each passage when sprayed.

·
Registered
168 Posts
from what i have read here is seems as if maybe the needle and seat need replacing. the needle doesnt necessarily need to be attached to the float that just helps to keep it open when the float drops but the fuel coming in should push it open. but as far as it flooding is it flood out just sitting or when you crank on it a while?

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was cranking on it for a good time after cleaning the carb. I went out today to put a new plug in and it was packed full of snow from the wind. I put it in the basement cleaned the snow out and am now waiting to let it thaw out the rest of the way. We have too much snow to let my son try to ride it now (6") and it does not have the deep snow kit. I have another problem with my 85 Yamaha XLV now too :(.
I'll post that in another thread.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thats the plan if i can get it running consistently. i was only making the point that he couldnt ride freely on the lake like he could have had last weekend. (i guess i should have explained myself better).

·
Registered
168 Posts
kinda figured but what the heck. So any luck getting it to fire up yet? and you might turn off the fuel and yank the cord a few times with the plug out to dry up any left over fuel in the crankcase

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
kinda figured but what the heck. So any luck getting it to fire up yet? and you might turn off the fuel and yank the cord a few times with the plug out to dry up any left over fuel in the crankcase
I took it in the basement and then cleaned the carb on my 85 Yamaha XLV, rode that around on the lake, then it died. I suspect that the fuel pump crapped out on me. Im hoping to see if it fires up tomorrow, if we dont go fishing. Will keep you posted.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The yamaha quit running, im hoping the Kitty Kat fires up tomorrow :)

·
Registered
168 Posts
I took it in the basement and then cleaned the carb on my 85 Yamaha XLV, rode that around on the lake, then it died. I suspect that the fuel pump crapped out on me. Im hoping to see if it fires up tomorrow, if we dont go fishing. Will keep you posted.
Check the inline filter and the filter in the tank also im not familiar with that particular sled but i have had the fuel pickup tube drop off so it runs out of gas at half tank on my sled dont know if your is the same

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The yamaha quit running, im hoping the Kitty Kat fires up tomorrow :)
Well..... it didnt run. It didnt even fire. I'm thinking that the points have finally given out. It had spark the other night, but with even spraying a little starting fluid in it it didnt even fire. Well, thats two sleds that wont run. I hope mine will continue to run, i have a fishing trip planned in three weeks!

·
Registered
168 Posts
did you check for spark? take a new plug and lay it so it grounds on the motor and see if you get a spark it should be blue and you should be able to hear it also

if no spark check to see that the kill switch didnt go bad

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Tuesday night I had a nice blue spark with the plug i had. I disconnected the kill switch as well as the key switch.

·
Registered
168 Posts
but no spark now?

if you have spark then i suspect excess fuel in the crank case fouling the plug

also something that you can do real easy with the kitty cat is tip it up so that the exaust is down and pull the cord will help clear the excess fuel if any

1 - 20 of 23 Posts