Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys,,, i got a 97 sx and a stud got pulled through last winter and I didnt find out about it until a couple of weeks ago. The track itsself is in pretty decent shape and I'm broke. I have changed a couple tracks before but it seems to take me a couple of weekends and a lot of beer. Any imput if I'll be able to ride this winter? or if its just an accident waiting to happen?

·
Registered
275 Posts
Depends on where it pulled and how the track lloks. I pulled one on the outer side where the wheels run and at just under a buck it let loose and washed out the tunnel and 1 heat exchanger and mudflap. If it came out clean and a wheel aint runnin on it then run it. Quote, 1 of the heat exchangers costs as much as a new track and running the track dry wont fry your motor like loosing your fluids.

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
I'd say "Skip the beer"... you'll get more done! :D

Like others have said... what did it do to your track when it pulled through? Is it clean, or did it rip? And, where is it located. Run it on a stand, and see what it looks like underneath. Maybe that will help you make a good judgment call. Hate to have to change a track... but tearing up a heat exchanger would be infinitely more work.

·
Team Arctic
746 Posts
RoloCade said:
Depends on where it pulled and how the track lloks. I pulled one on the outer side where the wheels run and at just under a buck it let loose and washed out the tunnel and 1 heat exchanger and mudflap. If it came out clean and a wheel aint runnin on it then run it. Quote, 1 of the heat exchangers costs as much as a new track and running the track dry wont fry your motor like loosing your fluids.
my friends indy did that, but the hear exchangers are on the running boards on his, so it just really beat up the tunnel and destroyed the mudflap. thats why im not really a stud man, we ride fields with 6"+ soft stuff most of the time, im happy with my 1.25 lugs, doesn't wreck the trailer either.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Thats true Cazwell, but some field entrances and exits get hardpacked or iced over. Where your at though the snow might not ever ice up cause you get fresh stuff all the time, *drool*. I do alot of lake and nasty trails around here and studding can be a good thing. The stud that pulled on mine wasnt from me it was the last run the previous owner had. He bagged on it from the ice to the concrete and it ripped but was unnoticed till it was too late. Besides its kinda hard to stop or keep the rearend from sliding out on ya without studs on ice. Then when it catches ya flip on your side and you get laghed at all night at the local pub.LOL

1 - 5 of 5 Posts