Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello all, Im working on a 2004 sxv70sj viper and it has no spark I have a service manual but it does not cover the 4 wire kill switch on the 2004 models which i would like to test or bypass.
the customer said it was running bad at low speed and would stall. he got it running again and shut it off with the kill switch from that point he was unable to restart it and noticed it was getting no spark.

I would like to rule this out so I can move forward to test the stator,and pick up coil which were rusty and cleaned but still no spark
i have also disconnected the contrl load relay and installed new plugs. still no spark please advise. thanks!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm also tracking a no spark on a 2002 (red) Viper 700. Mine ran great last year but was left outside all winter. I ran it to the barn and then this fall no spark. I put jumpers on it and turned it over with spark plugs laying on the head and eventually it started sparking! Took maybe 5 minutes of turning over. All 3 started sparking. I cleaned every connection I could find and filed the rust off the flywheel and cleaned the pickup. I've spent many hours running it including wot and it runs perfect till you stop. It will start now but when I try to lower the idle lower than 3000 it acts like someone turned the key off. No spark under 3000.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I called the dealer Pioneer Motor Sports in Chaffee NY and he (Hank) told me the gap between the flywheel and pickup coil can be modified if needed. I cleaned the flywheel with a flat file while spinning the engine over with no spark plugs then measured the gap it was .060. I ground off the pickup coil parts that fit in the bolt holes then made the holes bigger with a drill and cleaned up all filings. I was able to get it to .015 and now it will idle down to 200 rpms! It idles so low the computer doesn't even turn on till you bump the throttle.
He had me run the engine with a spark plug pulled out placed on the head pluged in and running on 2 cylenders with some throttle then slowing the engine down and watching the spark as it stops sparking then the engine dies. This is how he had me diagnose the coil.
Runs awesome now. Hope this helps!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts