Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,
Just dropping in to see if anyone has thoughts on this. According to my mechanic end of last season my carb boot cracked which caused my engine to seize with about 3500miles on it.. pretty typical from what I have heard.. So, I had him tear the whole motor down and go through it all and had it gone through. new pistons,rings, one jug re-coated. basically go through it all and then added a set of vforce reeds for a little more perk. Never got to use it until this year. got 80 miles on it during break in.. motor never got over 5000rpms never over 40 mph and it let loose again, mechanic covered everything, parts, labor just had to wait 2 weeks since he had to send out the jug. which happened to be the other side.. he said it was a defective piston clip. personally I don't think he had it in all the way it fell out and gernaded the engine. anyway, got it back last monday, start all over with break in. pre-mix oil with gas,ect.. gentle,gentle riding. I got 30 miles on it and it went down again. I'm so scared of having this machine, I called the mechanic and he wants it back to go through it for the 3rd time.. I havn't been rough on this motor at all since I've been able to ride and now wondering what could be lurking in there or is it just maybe my mechanic is missing something. He has a good reputation and has been working on sleds for over 20 years and has a well established business. I've rebuilt a few 2 stroke sled engines over the years and I kind of am at the point where I'd like to work with him together on it to make sure he isn't cutting corners but again he is the professional and he already lost his butt on this thing once now. Any thoughts.. This stinks, trails are open, nice weather and I'm dead in the water.. ughhhh

·
Registered
97 Posts
is he using factory pistons? after-market pistons come with cheap ass c clips. when you compress them to put them in they dont spring back out fully to hold them selfs in place.. i dropped a c clip in my 800 triple.. rebuilt with factory ski-doo pistons and clips..

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know at the time he ordered the new pistons he ordered different clips cause he was afraid of that being an issue.. we'll see what happened when he takes it apart..

1 - 3 of 3 Posts