Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know how much free play should be in the chaincase on a 03 rmk with mechanical reverse? If I rotate the secondary forward and mark it I can move it backwards about 2.5". I am new to the mechanical reverse but I have taken the chaincase cover off when I was changing the oil to clean and tighten the chain and there is no excessive shavings or anything. I would think that there would have to be some play for the gears to mesh when put into reverse but, how much is too much. Sled runs down the trail fine but I am afraid to do much more until I know if this is normal. Also should the chain be tighten any different than a sled without reverse?

Thanks also this is a great site tons of information

·
Super Moderator
16,799 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

Chain Tension Adjustment (from the 2002 Deep Snow Service Manual)

1. Elevate the rear of machine and support so track is off the floor.
2. Loosen adjuster bolt lock nut.
3. Loosen adjuster bolt slightly (about one turn out).
4. Tighten adjuster to specified torque (20 IN/LBS or 2.3 Nm.) Make sure- inch/lbs!
5. Loosen adjuster bolt 1/2 turn
6. Hold adjuster bolt in position and tighten locknut securely.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks I will definatley try that, do you think the chain is to loose? I tightened it like my other sleds finger tight and back out 1/4 turn. Also the chain is almost out of adjustment should I buy a whole new chain or is there a master link in there so I can break it and shorten it?

·
Super Moderator
16,799 Posts
I have never had to adjust the mechanical reverse, the only sled I have that has one is a Cat and is self-adjusting. I do know they are different to adjust, as evidence by the directions. All my Polaris sleds I do like you do, finger tight, back off 1/4 turn.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts