Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2003 Arctic Cat Pantera 600 EFI, and when im riding it it seems to have no top end power, but it does run good in bottom end, during one ride the engine almost died and i took out the plugs and the clutch side plug was white, i'm just not sure what to do, i changed the plugs and it ran better, but they still come out sort of lean and the engine barely goes over seven thousand RPM
Powervalves?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Better test for air leaks before running it any longer. That white plug is an indication of too much air/not enough fuel.
wouldn't the plugs always be white if there was a leak, after i cleaned the powervalves i took it for a ride it still seemed a little slow in the top end but when i got back i took the plugs out and the seemed about what they should be,

how fast would you expect a 120 horse 600 touring sled to get?

·
Registered
26,131 Posts
Might just be the alcohal wire! Look for it in front of the air box. I believe with it pluged in it is for non alc gas, unpluged is for gas with 10 percent alcohal. Perhaps its pluged in and you are using alcohal?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Might just be the alcohal wire! Look for it in front of the air box. I believe with it pluged in it is for non alc gas, unpluged is for gas with 10 percent alcohal. Perhaps its pluged in and you are using alcohal?
what do you think that wire changes? timing or what?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok, ill try that
plugs are most definitely not too lean, but still there is a problem with high RPMs it only goes about 50-55MPH and 7500 RPM wide open, but it accelerates to that speed quickly, also it bogs sometimes at low speeds

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It has exhaust valves, correct?
Have they been cleaned/checked?
Thats what i thought of immediately, i cleaned them, cables seemed fine,
im now thinking it might be the servo, my dad thinking CDI box or stator

it was sorta bouncing at 7000 last ride i took(at 50 MPH which seems to slow)

well i guess i could put it on a stand and rev it up and watch the cables

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sounds like either the belt or clutch. Did you do a compression test @WOT?
well both clutches are opening,(i put it on a stand and revved it up) should i clean them anyways?
the powervalve servo moves too so thats out

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
well both clutches are opening,(i put it on a stand and revved it up) should i clean them anyways?
the powervalve servo moves too so thats out
PTO piston melted...
answered i guess

·
Premium Member
347 Posts
Sorry about your luck!! How many miles are on the sled. What we want to determine is what caused the piston failure. Have you been able to diagnose that?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sorry about your luck!! How many miles are on the sled. What we want to determine is what caused the piston failure. Have you been able to diagnose that?
1000 last time i rode it,

SPX piston, is that the marking for the exhaust or a burn?

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Wouldn't it have to be rebuilt and running to find out?

·
Registered
26,131 Posts
No you will want to find out before you rebuild! A set of pistons and gasket set with seals is the way to go. pull the motor out and split the cases and go threw it complete! How many miles on it, 4000?

·
Premium Member
347 Posts
^^^exactly^^^

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
1000 miles, well, me and my father rebuilt it earlier in the week, it fired right up, checked it for leaks with starter fluid, no rpm increase, but haven't ridden it much since the bottom coolant hose wasn't clamped on so i gotta get to that soon...

EDIT: his friend told him it was probably the stator, so he didn't want to tear the motor out with me and i wasn't too sure about pulling that thing apart solo, so i'm not sure whats on his mind, seals aren't that hard to do and their extra insurance even if it's the stator, then the seals are good

1 - 20 of 22 Posts