Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 03 mxz 500 that has 500 miles on it that I bought new for the wife and she dont ride much but the head lights tail lights and brake light do not work. At first only the brights would work. The dash lights do however still work. Is this a voltage regulator gone bad or am I missing something. I did unplug the reg. and had no change at all. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Did you check the fuse's? I know my 03 Legend 600 has a bunch of fuse's on the right side under the cal.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have not been able to find any fuses. I will have more time to look today but in my searches I have read about a relay and I cant even find that. I will check the regulator today for output and go from there I guess.

·
Registered
794 Posts
The relay is up under the dash you should have two or three of them open the side panels and lookin up under the dash they are mounted to the square tube up under there.

·
ride till your broke
2,560 Posts
The relay is up under the dash you should have two or three of them open the side panels and lookin up under the dash they are mounted to the square tube up under there.
agreed. its prolly the little square relay for the external lights.
ive replaced several on skidoos.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Its not a rev it a conventional mxz with reverse but Im still looking for those dang things. Not in the gauge cluster and on the frame behind the clutch so I am just missing them someplace. Thanks for the help. Im more of a 4 wheeler drag car kinda guy so snowmobiles are a little different for me.

·
ride till your broke
2,560 Posts
on my 02 renagede the relay i speak of was between
the air box and the tank.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have found no relays or fuses> I have the Multi purpose electronic module on the top of the oil resivoir and as far as I can tell I have 17 VAC going into the voltage regulator and 0 coming out. Its a PITA trying to test it under the pipe but I will come up with a better way before I buy a module. I womder if Im missing these relays of if the sled is a mutant?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the link. It shows a relay in the micro fiche but I think that is for electric start. I didnt find a relay after tearing it apart and I assume the ignition box may have replaced that. As for the regulator I have 17VAC going in and 1.9VDC coming out so I assume the reg. is bad. Anyplace on line I can get one at a reasonable rate? My closest dealer is an hour away. I hope this is the problem as I can tell its gonna be an expexsive part. Thanks

·
Registered
79 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the links but thats not the regulator and I assume the CDI is OK. I called the dealership to get a price as I couldnt find an OEM on ebay that was new and of course no calll back from them:mad:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It sure looks like it. I will have to email them for the part number as there are a few that look the same but have different numbers. Thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sorry to jump on your thread, but I have a 2002 MXZ 380f and I cannot locate a fuse or relay anywhere on this sled either. My issue was that I installed a heated visor jack, which worked good for one day, then the second time my son rode the sled he lost power to the visor jack, both handwarmers and the thumb warmer. The local stealership said there are no fuses/relays on the sled and it could possibly be the voltage regulator, however, I am not convinced that there is no fuse or relay on the sled. If you discover where they are please let me know. Thanks

1 - 15 of 15 Posts