Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2002 xc 500 and when it gets warmed up and i hop off the trails into powder, the motor itself bogs down and wont get any power. Ive changed the plugs numerous times, took it to the dealer and they switched the jets, but it still does it. any suggestions???

·
Registered
109 Posts
That would be my first guess too. Do you have the option of closing the vents on your hood? Mine do on my ski-doo. It can then pull air from vents behind the windshield.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yes the vents on the hood are adjustable, but we have two sleds that are identical, and i took the other one and ran it in the same spot on the same depth snow and it would get to around 80-85 mph and the sled with the problem will only get to around 60 mph. When i rode it today there is only about 10 inches of total snow which we got all last night so its not getting burried in the powder by any means.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I had the same prob on a older sled,come to find powder from snow was making its wayonto the clutch causing the belt to slip.That was in deep powder only.????

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was hoping that maybe it was one of those odd belt problems so I changed the belt (which was getting a lot of miles on it anyways), and it didnt seem to make much difference. The sled will run like it is brand new for the first mile or two, then its like it loses power all of a sudden. very strange...

what would the problem be with the clutch?? any idea?

·
I am Spartacus
23,863 Posts
IS it only in powder, or will it only run good for a mile or two on trails also? If it's either, might be looking at either the coil, fuel pump, stator, etc.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I guess it does it on both trails and powder. In the powder it will never pick up power it just stays doggy for the entire time until i get back onto packed snow. In the trails however, it will have a poor takeoff but if I hold the throttle to the bar, eventually after maybe 5 seconds it will start to gain power and speed.

·
I am Spartacus
23,863 Posts
You need to take care of the high end problem with the carbs... Drop the clips down one or two notches on the carb slide needles, if it gets worse, go the other way with the clips. See if that helps.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts