Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have an '02 Venture 700 touring machine, and it runs great. The problem is that it seems to take a lot of throttle to get it moving compared to our Arctic Cat 550 Pantera. Is this normal, or do we have a clutch/belt problem. When we first got it (used) the belt squeeled so we replaced it, and it no longer squeels. It just seems to take a LOT of throttle to get the sled moving. Any thoughts on this?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeh, see ours is engaging at about 6K. We're new at this snowmobiling thing...:D

·
Registered
77 Posts
I'd check a few things,make sure you have the correct belt,is the brake stuck,is the track too tight.Try lifting the rear of the machine and see where it engages then.Check with your manual for track tension and measure to see how it is.
Also I'd check with the dealer and find out if someone changed the spring in your primary clutch.This will make your machine engage at different RPM. Get them to check and tell you what colour spring it should have and compare.
Just a few ideas where to start.

Let us know what you find out.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great info. Thanks for the input, I'll poke around tomorrow and see what's up.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have an '03 Venture 700. Observed the same thing...in fact first time I thought the emergency brake was on.
Check the clutch engagement with the sled raised. Shouldn't be over 4K RPM. If so that has to be fixed. Also warm up the track and belt like this when first starting.

Part of the problem is the weight and long track. When dry those closed track windows seem to grip the sliders. I replaced the sliders with Hiperfax ($155 a pair...ouch) and put slide buttons in the closed track windows. Result: somewhat easier starts and dramaticly less slider wear. Original Hyfax wore (actualy melted) fairly fast to the last 1 mm and then idlers pick up the load.
I find I need to use the brake more now too.

When starting from a stop, I goose it it a little to break the friction and then ease up. 600 pound sled and 2 200 pound passengers is a lot of lead to start over a plowbank. If you ease the throttle up you make a lot of belt smoke.
Hope this helps.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts