Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 02 700 edge. Nice clean sled i've had for 3 years now. Never really had a problem with it. However today I was out on the lake with some buddies. I was traveling at a high speed about 110 and all of sudden it felt like I hit speed govenor or something. The thing just stalled and dropped about 5-10 mph and then went again. It was concerned so did a few more fast runs and it didnt the 1st couple but 3rd time it did. It then did it after that after hitting about 90, again just feeling like it hit a speed governor, dropped down like 8 mph then resumed again. Just wondering if anyone has had this happen or knows a solution. I'm heading up to the up this weekend but am kind of gun shy now after this happening. And just to note its not like im got the throttle pinned for 5 minutes acorss the lake. This is in just short bursts. Thanks for any help guys.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I've had 2 people tell me that my fuel pick up line in the tank may have broken off?? Does anyone have experience on checking this or changing it??? thanks

·
Super Moderator
18,338 Posts
You may be able to see the fuel pickup tube by looking in the fuel tank. They do decay over time, sometimes getting cracks that let air in, or get so soft they collapse when you are flowing a lot of fuel.

They aren't difficult to change, you will need to drain the gas to below the fitting on the tank, remove the outlet hose, the fitting that holds the hose screws right out. Polaris uses a crimp-style clamp to keep the hose on, you won't find any clamp that is small enough to go back in the tank through the hole. I found some hose at a saw shop that was perfect; once it goes on, it doesn't come off unless you cut it. Perfect!

If you pull the fitting and the hose stays in the tank because of rot, you will need to fish it out with a coat hanger or piece of wire. There is a weighted fitting on the end of the pickup hose that you will need to re-use.

·
TRH- Troll Raising Hell
6,133 Posts
The computer will retard the timing if you run the motor too warm. It will not allow you to hit the speed you hit prior until it cools down. It's to protect the motor. They make jumpers for the thermostat to block it.

I've ran into the same issue after doing a few hard and fast lake runs in a row.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I looked and you guys were the right. The tube is rotted right off of the metal fitting thing that sticks into the tank a little bit. The problem I'm having is though Is that I cant find the other end of it. I fished around in there with a coat hanger and cant seem to find it. I was wondering if it would be easier for me to just tank the off and do it?? Is removing the tank hard to do?? I also noticed there is some debris on the bottom of that tank so thought maybe I should just remove the tank and get that out of there also. I mean its not alot but just looks like some little piece or flakes or something.

·
Super Moderator
18,338 Posts
The tank is easy but can be time consuming to remove. On my Edge RMK's, there were two bolts at the rear of the seat inside the "trunk" and a couple of bolts holding the back of the tank down. I don't know if yours is one-piece or not, but it should come off easy once you get the bolts off. If you have junk in there, it will definitely make it easier to get the debris out if you can turn the seat upside down. It's still a bit of a challenge, there is a lip on the tank fuel filler to keep an air space at the top of the tank to prevent overfilling, sometimes you can't shake the small stuff out because of the lip...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts