Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm posting this again since I got only one response...

I could use a little help regarding a sled choice.

Interested in buying a 2001 Polaris Pro X 440 LC. Since I know nothing about the 440's and i've heard good and bad about them I thought I would give you folks a chance to give your 2 cents worth.

I currently have a 97 Indy Super Sport 500. I want to get away from the fan cooled engine.

I mainly trial, ditch and some lake riding in Minnesota and Wisconsin. Speed is not a hugh factor, however I would like to have the option to hit 90 mph. Is the sled capable of those speed?
Are these good trial sleds?
I hear these require a great amount of maintenance and have trouble on the trails with fouling out plugs? true or not.

I have search up and down for reviews on this sled and find none.

Finally, What's a good price for the sled. Non racer with 300 or so miles. It's liquid cooled, NOT FC. I have one in site for under 3 grand.

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
yes they will reach 90 i hav heard and i have also heard they need quite a bit of wrenching

·
Registered
64 Posts
i am looking for a prox440 since i ride mainly tight trails, that are really whooped out, and jumping, playing on my motocross track, and only an occasional U.P. trip. i think the lighter weight of a 440 is a good idea and since the only time i ever exceed 80 mph is down a road and the occasional U.P. trip what i have heard is that "they are a pain and require alot of work" this is what i always hear. then i ask, "like what". "you need to rebuild them every year, and you should put a new belt on every year" and that all anyone can come up with. any two stroke that is running close to its full potential should be rebuilt every year. i rebuild my quad multiple times a summer. i have to put new clutch plates in fairly often, and chains go bad all the time. so this doesnt sound very bad to me. these sleds also seem to be fairly cheap.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
THE RACE SLEDS ARE SET UP A WHOLE DIFFERENT WAY THAN THE CONSUMER SLEDS ARE AND LACK THE RELIABLITY, YOU WOULD BE MUCH MORE SATISFIED WITH A XC 500 OR 600, YOU WILL HAVE PROVEN RELIABILTY AND A SUSPENSION CAPIABLE OF THE
SAME ABUSE AS THE PRO X, I DON'T RIDE OR OWN POLARIS
BUT MY EXPERIANCES WITH MY FREINDS THAT DO SHOW ME WHAT WORKS AND WHAT DOESN'T

GOOD LUCK AND THINK SNOW!

·
Registered
482 Posts
Theres no doubt you'll out grow that sled quick, for the prices of sleds today, you want to make sure you have it for a couple 3 years and be happy with it.
Like MX said, have you looked at or rode an XC500, 600 or 700?
I've ridden all of them and theres PLENTY enough of everything you'll need. they already have 10, 12 and 13 inches of travel.
there dual carb, twin cylinder. with these combinations there only as standerd as what you do to them if you ever wanted more.

Besides that for the price you pay for the 440 pro x, you'd be able to find a XC600 and the power to spare.

Just a thought.
:D

·
Registered
64 Posts
i have certainly considered xc 500 and 600's and i know how well they can take abuse. my current ride is a a 99 super sport and i dont know how its held up as well as it has. i just havent noticed anything to be "unreliable"on the 440's. they may require more maintanence, but im so used to my quads, that a pair of pistons every year is no big thing. rebuilding shocks isnt too bad either, if you have to do that. (not sure if they are rebuildable) from the 600's ive ridden and the one pro-x, the pro-x felt much better in the air, and whiped through corners much better than the 600. it might not seem like much, but every pound counts on these things. and it seems like the 440's are just about too cheap to pass up. around here they seem to go for about 2500-3000 for a couple year old model. 600s are about 3500-4500.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts