Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 01 mxz 440 and i need some sugjestions on upgrades

I know i need to get new ski's (one of them has a hole) and i also need to fix the suspension it bottoms out very easy. What else should i upgrade to improve acceleration, top speed, corning, ect.

·
Registered
109 Posts
To improve acceleration, you could put some new reeds on the sled, say some delta force reeds. I don't know engines that well, so can't give too much more advice there. Larger displacement, but I'm not going to recommend stroking a 440. I'll let someone else do that.

I wouldn't worry about top end. I don't condone that. 0-60/80 is where I get my kicks. don't need to go faster that that and your sled already can.

Depending on what you're riding in, a paddle track could improve your acceleration, but decrease your top end. Studs would help with cornering, if you put them in the right place on the track. They would also help with acceleration, but again you lose some top end speed.

I have a 2001 mxz and have started replacing shocks and springs. You may need to do the same. Probably why you're bottoming out, or your suspension may not be set up correctly. M-10's are sweet if you can afford them.

Go with dual carbide skis when you buy new. They will improve cornering and resist darting on the trails.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What would new reeds do to help what about a new exaust pipe would that do much? What else do you guys sugjest?

One thing i noticed last year is when im starting to get going the sled revs and then kicks into gear with a jerk (not that bad but noticable, also in reverse it does it) What else would you guys sugjest

thanks, mike

·
Registered
109 Posts
I've heard that putting a different can on your exhaust can actually hurt performance. I put a race can on mine because I like the sound. Not sure whether it helped/hurt performance. Now if you replaced the pipes and muffler, that could be a different story, but it's pricey.

You can read up on reeds at http://www.mototassinari.com/

They would probably give you the most bang for you buck.

As far as the clutch kicking in the way it does, I know there are certain points where you can lubricate the clutch, at least that's what I've been told. You may want to wait and hear back from someone else there.

·
Registered
570 Posts
I've never heard of someone who did not condone of top end. ?????

·
Registered
109 Posts
YamahaVector said:
I've never heard of someone who did not condone of top end. ?????
Watch a friend die once and see if you still care how fast you can go on a sled.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
im getting more like 70 mph it really feels pretty slow when i get up there what can i change to make it quicker?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So too improve acceleration and cornering

*New Reeds
*Dual Carbide Ski's
*Studs
*new shocks

Anything else?

thanks

1 - 9 of 9 Posts