Snowmobile Forum banner

Still have snow?

3K views 30 replies 10 participants last post by  MTsledder83 
#1 · (Edited)
I was out in the groomer on Tuesday, looks like we may be grooming for another day or two before it's all gone...

White Snow Blizzard Winter Black-and-white

No idea why this is sideways, it was uploaded correctly... sorry to put a kink in your neck! BTW, that's an outhouse, it's about 10 feet to the peak of the building...

Snow Winter Vehicle Photography Black-and-white

8 to 9 feet... we may be sledding in May!

See less See more
#5 ·
Nope, no snow here and I'm not happy when I hear people comment how nice it is outside. Ya, tomorrow is 60 high im taking the bike out after work. Gotta go with the flow I guess but I only had my sled out 5 times and 350 mi. If we could only have one more storm.

#7 ·
Was out playing in a foot of powder in some places in the Dixie National Forest in South West UT today. Over 8 feet of snow in most of the forest. This will be the last good powder weekend. Warming up into the 40's next week.

#11 ·
Nice Dan! That's a huge amount of snow. I was able to get out two weeks ago with my buddy...he's 80! I aspire to like him at that age. My wife and I went out last weekend on the 2-up and had a great ride. Not the best season, but we got out there and had some fun. All about the enjoyment.

#13 ·
Went for a ride around one of the local parks loop. 120 miles total. My buddy and I went backwards around the loop compared to what people normally do. Paid off. First 80 miles of the trip was nice groomed trail, but the last 40 miles was as rough as I have ever seen a trail.

There is this one spot that we like to play around in, Slow moving part of the creek that goes through there and it collects a lot of snow and has a nice little hill next to it to play around on as well. As nice as the weather was, we figured by the time we got back around to that spot (short distance the other way) that it would be all torn up and packed down. After weaving through the trees and then coming out next to the spot, we couldn't believe our eyes. Only a couple of real old tracks going through the area. It is about a mile long and about 500 ft wide. Fresh powder. We kept looking behind us to make sure it wasn't wet under neath, but it was solid ice under and 3-5' of good powder up on top. Needless to say, we spent about 2 hours there just playing around.

We got back on the trail and started to head back and discovered why it was un-touched. There was a slough that was thin ice and over flow. Everyone was turning around at that spot. We managed to just skirt around the open water and kept going. That is when the trail got really really rough. People were crossing the trail going through the woods and just tearing up the trail. Plus, state funding down, they probably stopped grooming it back in January.

Attachments

#15 ·
What a difference 10 days makes. Went on a cruise down to Mexico and back from March 20th to 30th. When we left there was still plenty of snow to ride around on, but unusually warm temps melted it all away. My yard is about 80% free of snow already, driveway and trails are all bare ground. This is unusual as we usually have snow until mid to late April.

I think my riding is done for the year. Don't think I'm going to go to the Arctic Man this year. Not hearing good reports of snow down there.

#18 ·
I went out yesterday in SW Utah. There is still 8 feet of snow in the mountains. You have to go out more in the afternoon to let the snow soften up. The temps are in the 40's during the day and below freezing at night, so the snow is like a rock in the morning. I put on 100 miles, but am calling it a season. I have to much work around the house to do! I put on 1700 miles for my first season back after a 25 year separation. I had a great winter!!

#21 ·
Plenty of snow up in the mountains still, guessing there'll still be rideable stuff into June if you go up high enough. Unfortunately, the good stuff is gone. I was up last week, and it was wet mush for the most part. Still fun, just not magical like a foot of fresh powder.

#22 ·
I hear you on that! I was out Wednesday with a couple of guys. We stopped and I pulled my avy probe to check the depth. The snow was about a foot deeper than my probe which is 8 1/2 feet from tip to tip. We call that "hero" snow, it's so set up, it's difficult to get stuck unless you slide into a tree well or do something really stupid. Rain is coming, though... that may go away pretty quickly! I'm glad I don't live down river from all that ;)

#23 ·
I thought my riding season was over a few weeks ago. Had a storm go through Southern UT on Wednesday. There was a foot of snow at 10,000 feet but at 8,000 there was only an inch. I went up yesterday for the last ride of the season. Was able to get in a little over 100 miles.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.