A lot has happened since I last posted about my Phazer, I thought I'd update you all on the latest news.
The 130 mains were too big, made the sled run too rich at Mt Rose (turns out it's about 8-9000 ft in elevation, a bit higher than I thought). It took off well, but bogged at about mid-throttle and above and I couldn't go faster than 30. Plugs looked wet and fouled.
Then it started leaking oil and fuel again, had to replace another fuel line clamp and tracked oil leak to the tachometer cable clamp. Gasket was good but screws had loosened a bit. Couldn't find any lock washers the right size, and I didn't have any blue loctite, so I found a couple flat washers that fit the screws and squeezed a layer of RTV silicone sealer over the gasket and screwed it down as tight as I could. Seemed to take care of the leaks.
Next I installed a new set of BR9ES plugs (the recommended plug) which are a bit colder than the BR8ES' that I'd been running. Pulled the spark plug caps and trimmed 1/4" of insulation off the leads for better contact.
Then I installed size 122.5 main jets and moved the rubber circuit plug from the outer hole to the pilot jet hole as has been suggested by several other members in other posts even though the manual tells you the plug goes on the outer hole. Apparently there is a lot of confusion as to where these plugs are supposed to go because it comes up frequently in this forum. I have a hunch switching the plug to the pilot jet hole is part of tuning for high altitude (the diagram floating around here that contradicts where the manual tells you where to put the plugs even says "High Altitude Recalibration Program"):
According to my manual, the carbs for the '84-'89 Phazer's has only 1 rubber plug and it's placed in the center hole. But when I took my carbs apart for the first time, the carbs had 2 rubber plugs placed in the holes where the manual says they go if you have a Phazer ll ('90 and up model):
So I'm guessing that I got Phazer ll carbs in my '87, and that the manual schematic for plug placement is correct if you're not
riding at high altitude. What constitutes "high altitude" however, is unclear to me (above 3 or 4000 Ft maybe ?)
Anyways, I take her for a test ride at Mt Rose today and it's immediately obvious that the tuning changes I made are having a fantastically positive effect on the sled's performance. With the track on a stand the machine responds instantly to the throttle and quickly pegs the speedometer at 100 MPH at 7000 RPM and still seems to be accelerating.
I ride it and there's a noticeable bog or dead spot off idle, but once past that it takes off like a rocket and has tons more power than it ever had before. Plugs look lean though. So I adjust the fuel screws a few times, and at one point it seemed to be running damn near perfect and plugs looked pretty good, maybe a touch lean especially on the PTO side. So I enrichened the fuel screws a little bit more, and it started bogging off idle again. So I reset the fuel screws to about where they were, and did circles around the meadow area near to the highway (was riding alone, and didn't want to venture into the backcountry just in case something went wrong). And something would go wrong in a BIG
So I ride for maybe 15-20 minutes more, and it seems to be running great: throttle response is good throughout the whole range, maybe a touch slow still off idle but the "dead spot" is gone and once it hits a certain RPM (maybe about 5000) just screams like a bottle rocket. So I hold it at WOT for a bit and cut the ignition to do a "plug chop". Pull the plugs and to my dismay they look pretty lean again, inspite of how well it seemed to be running. So I enrichen the fuel screws a bit and the off-idle "dead spot" is back again. Damn. I let the motor cool down a while (at this point it felt pretty hot) and then rode around a bit more hoping that the plugs would get some color on them again.
I'm getting a little bored of circling around the same areas so I ventured farther over to a rougher area that had some woody, leafless, shrubbery obstacles. It getting late in the day, dark and stormy, poor visibility with big gusts of wind blowing flurries of snow into your eyes.I was going pretty slow (maybe about 20) up a little slope and I came across a shrubby area and I steered the sled to what appeared to be a gap in the shrubs. When I got upon it I realized (too late!) that it was a hole in the snow and I fell into a five foot deep by about 7' wide trench. It was a section of a creek that didn't get fully buried by the snowpack.
I plowed the front end of the sled hard into the hole, slammed my helmet on the machine, and bent the hell out of the steering stem. The nose of the fairing now points downward into the hood, the throttle lever snapped clean off, and I can no longer turn the skis.
Fortunately for me I was pretty much unhurt (sprained my left thumb a bit, strained my right shoulder blade), and with the help of three other snowmobilers was able to dig the sled out and limp her out to the parking area.
Only the second time I've ridden the sled and already effed her up. Haven't had a chance to assess the damage yet, but I'd be surprised if I didn't bend more than just the steering stem.
I was so stoked to pick-up that free sled the other day too...
Damn. No way I could have seen that hole. I was right on the edge of it too: had I been about a sled's width over to the left I would have missed it.
Oh well, could have been much worse, and I'm so grateful for the help I got from the guys who got me out of the hole. Just wished it hadn't happened.
Sorry for the novel.