Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Near North Ontario anada
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi there Mack, here is my 2 cents.
if you have more free flowing carb filters/tubes on it, id say you want richer /bigger main jets in it not smaller, or it will lean out in the top end as it gets more Air than a stock filter/airbox set up.
rememeber that the Main jet really only takes effect by the time the throttle is between 3/4 to Full open.
Prior to that the pilot jets, needle jet/jet needle etc are responsible for the mixture the carb is feeding the cylinders at different phases of the throttle being opened.
1) started with a basic good cleaning of the carbs
2) as part fo step 1 check the pilot jets are very clean, and the right size for the mods you have
3) consider putting the stock jets or bigger back in
4) check that the jet needle, needle jet, throttle slide etc are all the right ones (easy to do if your cleaning the carbs, just write the numbers down and check online (likely ok but easy to eliminate as a problem)
5) is the clip on the right notch of the needle?
6) are the carbs synced properly lifting both slides at the same time? are both slides starting at the same rest position
7) etc etc. just check to see if its all "to spec" and clean clean clean
does it bog in the first 1/4 throttle or the mid 1/4 to 3/4 or in the last half ? that may help direct you to the problem
do you have the stock air box to try ?
is the exhaust correct for that motor? you mentioned it had a motor swap. Also, did the Carbs on it come from the original sled and motor ....or..did they come with the swaped motor ? Strange and irritating things can occur if you have the carb/exhusts setups intermixed with a different motor. you could spend all kinds of time chasing issues trying to get it to run right if these have been intermixed. If the carbs AND exhaust came off the 97 617 that would be best. if either the carbs or the exhaust or both cam of the original engine that "Could" be part of your issue.
is it possible you have a mouse nest in the exhaust ?
choke or primer on that sled ? if primer, is it feeding extra fuel ? if choke is it seating properly, did you clean the plungers ?
2011 MXZ TNT 600 ACE
02 MXZ 700 heritage
03 MXZ 550f
95 Yam VMAX 4 800
94 Mach 1 670
82 Yam SS440
81 Yam SRX440
80 Motoski GPS
79 Skidoo rv blizzard 7500+
79 Skidoo rv blizzard cross country
78 Skidoo RV 340
76 Skidoo RV 250
79 Motoski Super Sonic
79 Kawi 440 Invader
91 Arctic Cat 550 EXT special
Last edited by Dave; 07-07-2010 at 01:21 PM.