I would have tried to drill a hole but some of the electrical wiring is attached to the bulkhead right where I would need to drill.....at any rate I got the engine mounts loosened and cover off. Upon taking the the starter out I accidentally unwound the spring!!! what a nightmare! as someone said before you need and octopus to help you put it back together (12 arms).... got it wound back up with two vice grips and everything is reinstalled now! Hopefully it starts.....going to clean the carbs before I reassemble everything.
Thanks for everyones help.
Also noticed my chain case cover was loose and leaked oil until she was dry. Looks like the previous owner was trying to mess with the reverse cable. Glad I found that. Need to refill with oil.