1997 Ski doo Formula III 600 over heating - Snowmobile Forum: Your #1 Snowmobile Forum
User Tag List

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-29-2009, 09:07 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
1997 Ski doo Formula III 600 over heating

Help....Here is the story took sled for ride road good for about 1 hour or so then shut down over heated - let it cool made it home. This is a triple the 2nd piston was damaged not to bad but a few chuncks missing.

I replace piston and replace rings on the other 2 pistons, Cleaned Carbs - put back together started on 3 pulls! was running for about 4 minutes idle and less than 5 minutes on a quick test ride over heated it shut down. I waited a few minutes made it home. I did compression test all is well still reading 120 ish however still over heating.

Checked heat exchangers getting hot - no coolant leaking anywhere motor is full - checked all hoses.

check plugs the are grayish white so its getting hot could it be Oil Pump? I was thinking about running a mix through to test this theory...

Thoughts anyone
Wheels_17 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-29-2009, 10:28 PM
Registered User
 
stangcruzin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: ONTARIO
Posts: 1,182
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thermostat not working properly.
stangcruzin is offline  
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-29-2009, 11:27 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I pulled the Thermostat did quick run machine stayed cool - what will happen If I run it with out Thermostat?
Wheels_17 is offline  
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-30-2009, 05:35 AM
I am Spartacus
 
smallengineguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Milton Mills, NH
Posts: 23,802
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Nothing will happen, but the engine is designed to put out the most power at a certain temp. Replace the thermostat.

1992 Ski Doo Mach 1 (SC-10/2 suspended) March '07 SF.com Sled of the Month! (Lost in fire 4-7-13)
1992 Ski Doo Mach 1 original
2006 Ski Doo MXZ 500SS
1999 Ski Doo MXZ600
Webmaster Evergreen Valley Snowmobile Club
SledNH.com Moderator
smallengineguy is offline  
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-14-2010, 03:20 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
having the same problem 96 fIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheels_17 View Post
I pulled the Thermostat did quick run machine stayed cool - what will happen If I run it with out Thermostat?
Can anyone give a quick rundown on removing an testing the t-stat? Sounds like the best place to start on this sled...
mr2malv is offline  
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-16-2010, 04:45 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr2malv View Post
Can anyone give a quick rundown on removing an testing the t-stat? Sounds like the best place to start on this sled...
First drain some of your coolant otherwise you will have a little mess. Next locate the hose on top of your motor right by the spark plugs remove 2 bolts and pull thermostat.

To test boil water on stove get water to 108 degrees thats the factory spec for this thermostat to open drop it in and see if it opens. Good Luck my stat failure blew my sled up
Wheels_17 is offline  
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-17-2010, 04:06 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheels_17 View Post
First drain some of your coolant otherwise you will have a little mess. Next locate the hose on top of your motor right by the spark plugs remove 2 bolts and pull thermostat.

To test boil water on stove get water to 108 degrees thats the factory spec for this thermostat to open drop it in and see if it opens. Good Luck my stat failure blew my sled up

Will try that tomorrow, thanks...pulled the stat, ran without to see if it made a difference or not...didn't seem too...also, the exchangers in the tunnel seem to melt snow well so they're definately warming up, so coolant appears to be moving...tried to make sure there was no air in there, but having trouble with the bleed screw...can this system be bled at the reservoir?
Anything else I should be checking that could be causing this heat? My guage reads right below redline most of the time after it warms up...my other sled runs really low in comparision (670)

Help! (and thanks to all)...
mr2malv is offline  
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-17-2010, 04:42 PM
670 cc of Fun Fun Fun !!
 
vanwilder68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Kirkland Lake, Ontario
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
burping

I burped my sled by pulling it up on a snow bank and removing the rad cap and let it run for a maybe 5 mins.

Stopped my overheating problem.
vanwilder68 is offline  
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-19-2010, 03:47 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
making some progress...

Tried burping the system, but seemed ok...SO, I drained the coolant and replaced it...double check the thermostat, and refilled the sled....same problem...burped it again...same problem, no air.
NEXT, swapped the guage with one from my 95 670 (twin)...interesting thing happened...my heating problem changed sleds...looks like the problem is the guage, does anyone know if these are different on the 95 mach and the 96 FIII? or will the same p/n work? Looks like that's my next purchase...


Quote:
Originally Posted by mr2malv View Post
Will try that tomorrow, thanks...pulled the stat, ran without to see if it made a difference or not...didn't seem too...also, the exchangers in the tunnel seem to melt snow well so they're definately warming up, so coolant appears to be moving...tried to make sure there was no air in there, but having trouble with the bleed screw...can this system be bled at the reservoir?
Anything else I should be checking that could be causing this heat? My guage reads right below redline most of the time after it warms up...my other sled runs really low in comparision (670)

Help! (and thanks to all)...
mr2malv is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Snowmobile Forum: Your #1 Snowmobile Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome