Snowmobile Forum: Your #1 Snowmobile Forum - View Single Post - 600 ace is it enough?

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-27-2014, 11:04 PM Thread Starter
whodamudafuca

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
600 ace is it enough?

I've been researching the 600 ace. I am a relative newcomer to sledding (5 years) and currently own a couple 1990 safaris, a 377 and a 467. A lot of what I am reading is people hating on it because its 60 hp. my single carb 467 is in the low 50 hp range and it seems to pull its bulk pretty good corner to corner. Here in central Ontario, the trails are fairly tight with long straightaways pretty rare. I ride with a couple people with bigger sled budgets than me. One rides a yamaha nytro and the other 2 ride skidoos, a 500ss and a 600 etec. None of these guys can shake me off their tail in the woods. The longer straights are a different story but most straights keep speed under 65mph (which is about all I got) and speed limit here in Ontario is 30mph, not that anyone seems to pay attention to that.
I got thinking last season, as I was dumping more gas and oil into my dinosaur, do I really need more than 60 hp. especially if its in a modern chassis that wont have me guzzling ibuprofen to combat trail chop? After experiencing the dreaded 2 stroke burndown a couple times, it seems like the 4 stroke is the way to go
I'd like to hear from anyone that owns one of these because I have sled on the brain and one of these days I'm going to scrape together enough scratch to update my ride.

Current sleds
1990 ski doo safari 377 l
1990 ski doo safari 467 lc

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome