Snowmobile Forum banner

Clogged carb or low idle?

18K views 26 replies 7 participants last post by  steveg_nh 
#1 ·
So I finally got to enjoy my new sled today but I discovered it won't stay running at idle with the choke off. It will run fine with 1/2 choke (the warm up setting), including idle. In fact I can run the sled that way with no obvious bogging or stalling. Also i should note that Idle is only around 1200 at 1/2 choke. I expected it to be higher given that the manual says idle RPM should be 1800 which I assume is with no choke.

When I shut the choke off (after running for 10-15 minutes so its warm) RPMs drop off to about 500 and it runs for a few seconds, starts to sputter and just dies. Some times I can feather the throttle and keep it running and even run it at speed on the trail with the choke off if I'm careful not to let the RPMs drop off. Sometimes not.

Does this sound like a clogged carb or possible truly low idle since the manual says RPMs should be 1800 at idle. All the researching I did on stalling with choke off had symptoms of not running at all vs just not idling. So I'm not sure if it's not running at 1800 cause it's starved for fuel due to a clog or if I truly have a clog.

The guy I bought it from just had the carbs all cleaned and synced last fall but that was a year ago. I'm not sure a carb removal/cleaning is my cup of tea but I hate to bring it to the repair shop as they'll likely have it a while. I'm not sued what type of carbs I have either.

Any tips or thoughts are appreciated. Thanks!

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.