Snowmobile Forum banner

99 xc 700

1K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  white lightning 
#1 ·
Alright guys so I rebuilt my buds sled after it was in a fire....fixed it all new oil and fuel lines new clutches gone through everything....when it was all said and done the sled ran beautifully....took her for a few short trips and no problems.

Then he goes out tonight for the first time on the lake...the sled died on him twice then the third time it seemed to seize. We got it back to the garage and I took a look. No longer seized and it has compression in both cylinders but now there's a click in the throttle cables from something and the oil cable gets stuck.

I haven't taken a good look at it yet possibly just needs new cables but does anyone else have any ideas? Thanks guys

#3 ·
Can't find any frayed or charred wires from the fire.....only one I can find that's a little charred is the t-stat sensor but when he was riding their was no indications that the motor was overheating and the sled never sent itself into a limp mode so I can't say it's a wiring issue....I rebuilt the entire sled and it had no problems and it still runs fine but as soon as he drives a mile it dies...it seems to be beyond my knowledge at the time being and I can't think if anything

#4 ·
update on this....he bought a brand new sled so now trying to get rid of this one. Its a 99 xc 700 with 4000 miles. I know the motors fine checked everything over when i rebuilt it and its all good except for this problem of when it dies. He also said theirs another fuel leak but i cant see it since it sat their for awhile after i replaced all the lines and never leaked a drop.

Anyways he says he'll sell it to me for $700 as is and i can fix it and do whatever i want with it. What do you guys think?! I dont have a snowmachine at the moment and been looking for one(particularily 99-03 ski-doo with zx chassis) but is it worth the gamble?! Let me know what you guys might think.

#8 ·
Speed isn't a problem...I've rode that sled before and it's fine...my dads got a 600 of the same year and it wasn't enough when I was younger....I just hope that if I buy it I will find out why it might be still leaking fuel and why it dies after riding for 5 miles(could be fuel or wiring related). I've had my heart set on buying a 99-03 ski doo xc chassis for a while but maybe I could sell this one after and use the money I make towards one(03 renegade 600 for sale right now in the area, possibly do a trade lol).

Anyways thanks for the input guys I'm probly gunna buy it...ill keep you updated.

#11 ·
If the guy that owns it is really a friend, why don't you get the sled and see if you can find the problem BEFORE you buy it. Dig into it, disconnect the throttle and oil cables, try actuating the oil pump lever alone by hand. Make sure that the pump is actually moving oil into the lines. Did you bleed the oil pump after you rebuilt the engine? Is the engine starving for fuel? Have you checked the fuel line in the tank and the fuel system/lines from the tank to the pump. All of the things can cause an engine to fail. Good luck, and whatever you do, don't buy a money pit or something that needs work that is way over your skill level, you will never enjoy the sport that way!

#12 ·
For $700 bucks - its definitely worth to buy it .. only because you know the history of THAT sled. Once you sort out the problem .. at least you can have a sled to ride this year. :) WL

PS - make sure the waterpump belt is replaced - if that breaks, not only the sled will overheat - the oil injector wont work either.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.