Snowmobile Forum banner

v-max 4

19K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  Robert Bradley 
#1 ·
i wondering what the top speed is for the v-max 4. saw one for sale and was thinking of picking it up for the hell of it. i picked up a 98 v-max 700sx today but thought the 4 would make a good lake racer. any thoughts on this? thanks :)

#2 ·
I love the V-Max 4's! 4 cyl Rocket's. I almost bought one last year, but I had to go 9hrs. into Canada to get it. I found out it was a hassle with bringing it back and taxes. It was a 97, the last year they made them. That's the year you want to get if your getting one. The down fall with them is that there heavy sleds, and bad gas milage,and not the greatest suspensions. I would still like one and dream of putting a M-10 (fast) suspension in it. It would be a lake or river fricken screamer!:thumbsup:
Here's a pic of the one I still wish I had gotten.
And just think, no trailing arm's to break!

If you want more info on them, go to The Ultimate Vmax-4 Website  / vmax4.com.

Attachments

#4 ·
vmax 4

I have had a Vmax 4 for about ten years. The engines are rock solid in them. Clutch setup from stock is pretty poor. Setting up the cluch properly is about $300. (yamigod on VMAX4.com is the best person on setup). If you want to use it for trail you need to change out the skid. (a 96 XT is a direct bolt in you just need to drill a few holes and use the fron spring from the VMAX4. other skids have been used also). Plastic ski's are the way to go. If you plan on modifing the engine you need to weld the gears on the crank or they will spin from the torque. On the down side they are on the heavy side and the gas milage is very poor. After 10 years of having one I only reget not getting one sooner. Happy sledding

#7 ·
Actually this is the 800 I built, I have had 3 of them. Were you buying this from a guy in Hamilton because he purchased it from me. The picture you have here is at my cottage on Big Rideau Lake. When I sold this it was immaculate without a mark on it, but I also had a 1994 750 that I had been working on for a while and to be honest I liked it better. While the 800 may have made more peak power than the 750, I had worked on the jetting, clutching and gearing of the 750 to where you just touched the throttle, it instantly back shifted and was gone. Never had enough time to do it to the 800, BUT, I had three of these and two other Yamaha's as well as boats etc - well you know something has got to give. Good Luck - you should have bought it. All the bad things you said about the V4's is correct BUT when you are going down the lake at 100mph, with one hand on the throttle and the other hand is holding your lunch and a beer it can't be beat. NOTHING is as stable at high speed as a V4 is.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.