Snowmobile Forum banner

piston ring install

8K views 6 replies 2 participants last post by  chucknbach 
#1 ·
Putting in top end. Got Kimpex piston and rings. Which way do the rings go? Top one I'm pretty sure goes bevel up. Can't remember which way the bottom goes.:dunno:

#3 ·
Rings have a top and bottom (a flat side and a beveled side). I don't want to get them upside down. These rings have a K on the beveled side. I'm assuming that it's suppose to go up but you know what they say about assumptions.

The pins are a no brainer, if you don't get the ring gap on the pins, you won't get the piston back into the cylinder.

#5 ·
These pistons aren't like that. The pin is centered in the groove. On a good note though. I flipped the ring around and the grove is such that the ring won't compress if it's on upside down the ends of the ring will not even compress to the pin. I guess I should have tried it the wrong way first!

I think the set up your talking about is on Wiesco pistons. Also the bevel I was talking about is the whole ring on top is beveled, there's no bevel on the ends of the ring. It's actually notched out for the pin.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.