Snowmobile Forum banner

yamaha sno scoot carberator problem

22K views 14 replies 4 participants last post by  kccats 
#1 ·
I just bought 2 one-owner 1988 electric start sno-scoots for my grandchildren. Both are like new. I took them to my mechanic to clean the carbs because they had been sitting. He cleaned them and they run great.

The problem. The day after cleaning the carbs, neither will start without spraying carb cleaner in the intake. Then they'll run for the day and the same thing happens the next day...they won't start without spraying carb cleaner in the intake.

The mechanic says to buy new carbs and fuel pumps for both. That's spendy...$800. He cleaned the carbs on both twice. Funny that both have the identical problem.

Any ideas? Any part to replace on old carbs rather than buy the whole carb?

Thanks

#5 ·
what finally fixed your problem? I have one with the same problem. My problem isn't anything to do with the enrichment valve O ring. But I did plug the little black vent tube that comes off the top of the carb and that made it run alot better. It's wierd that that little black tube isn't shown on any pictures of that carb on any parts diagram.:dunno:

#6 ·
I just received the parts Old Man suggested (#s 19 and 32) in the mail and will install them this weekend or next. I will tell you when I'm finished if it works.

I have a friend who's mechanic had him block the tube too, and his ran better he said. I will try it both ways and report back.

#8 ·
Hey I had the same problem and I found the source. There is a tiny tiny hole in the enrichment valve fuel pick up. The hole was plugged. The scoot that I am working on starts perfect when it's cold every time (3 kicks) I also removed the brass plug and cleaned the enrichment valve passage.

#9 · (Edited)
I don't know if I was clear enough because I don't know the correct name for the carb parts. But what I called the "enrichment valve fuel pick up" is the part of the main body of the carb that is submerged in the fuel that is in the bowl. With the bowl off you will see 3 passages molded into one. 1 passage will have a rubber plug, the center one will have the main nozzle in it (#5 on diagram) and the third will have a brass plug in it. The passage with the brass plug has the tiny hole in the side of it. LOOK CLOSE. No wonder it's plugged it is so small. This is probably why people put primers on these snowmobiles.

#11 ·
not # 10 and not #31 either. The brass plug that I am referring to is not in the picture. #10 is the main jet. it is brass but it has a hole ,it also goes in horizontaly. #31 is a rubber plug that (if you are holing the carb right side up like it is in the snowmobile) goes in vertically. The brass plug I am referring to goes in the same way as the rubber plug only on the other side of the center.

#12 ·
Also if you want to remove that plug and clean the enrichment valve passage, what I did was drill a small hole though the plug and inserted a screw into the hole, put the screw in a vice and pulled the carb off of the plug. The plug is about 3/8 of an inch deep so if you are really careful you may not have to drill all the way though to get a screw to grab. I didn't know the plug was so deep and I did drill all the way though. What I did to fix the hole was take some gas tank repair putty, kneaded it untill it was one colour and rolled it thin so I could insert it into the hole in the plug. then I packed it in tight, waited for it to set up and put it back in the carb. One more trick I learned was to try to drill it upside down so the brass shavings don't get into your carb. otherwise be really really carefull to get them all out.

#14 ·
what do you see under that welch plug? That's the only thing I didn't do. Can you see into the enrichment passage?? I don't know why I didn't pop that welch plug out :eek:. The scoot that I am working on starts great, runs great but doesn't idle worth a bean. It revs up by itself then idles down by itself and sometimes stalls. I was hoping that what ever I missed under that welch plug, on top, was my problem and all I had to do was clean under there.:dunno:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.