Snowmobile Forum banner

1997 skidoo formula III 600

5K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  oldesledupes 
#1 ·
Hey all,
I just picked one of these up with a couple of bad crank bearings. Been looking around on the net and seems like a lot of guys had problems with the cranks in these sleds. anyone know if the motors are any good in these sleds? hows the rest of the sled?
thanks,
josh

#3 ·
get the crank re-done, the rest is good, there is a hole you should drill in the upper case half to aid in lubrication to the outer PTO bearing. make sure everything is done correctly and enjoy

#5 ·
thanks for the replys guys. I'll prolly be asking you some questions about drilling the case when I go to do it.

#7 ·
I paid $650 for it. so far, but prolly not, it looks like all it needs is a crank and some rings.

do you guys know where I drill the upper case? once I drill the case do I run another line off the oil pump over to the new nipple? or do you know a website where I can get this info.
thanks,
josh

#8 ·
when you have the thing apart, look down on top where the cylinder goes on. on the PTO side there will be a machined spot where there looks like there should be a hole. get the drill out and drill a 3/16" hole but you must aim it to end up with the hole between the two bearings. then clean and de-burr the hole. thats all you need.

#9 ·
thanks again, you guys on the forum saved my ass again, prolly would have ended up burning out my new crank if I wouldn't have heard about this through you guys.
I can see on the case where to drill, so once I get that setup I just run another line off the oil pump?

#10 ·
NO its inside the motor, oil/gas mix just gets in there and lubes the bearing.

#11 ·
sorry uper, i'm alittle slow. I see what you mean now, on the inside of the case and drill at a bit of an angle outwards to get between the bearings. the spot directly above the bearings on the outside of the case was what I was orginally looking at/close call. I see there's another one of these spots to drill on the inside of the mag side of the case, should I drill this one too?

#13 ·
no, only a single bearing on the mag side, will just trap oil and most likely get into the ign system.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.